Powered by Blogger.

(Semi) Solo Winter Trip | 10D9N in Melbourne

by - February 10, 2020

I was supposd to take up a summer internship but no one wanted to hire me because of my short availability :( Therefore, I flew all the way to aussie to find LS because this LDR is so baddddd I won't get to see her for more than two years if I didn't go on this trip. I was so glad that I stepped out my comfort zone and traveled solo (well, half of the time hence the "semi" in my title) because it's something I really wanted to do for the longest time. Glad that the destination was Melbourne as well because it felt safe, and I have someone not far away if I needed anything.

Visa
You need to have a travel visa called Electronic Travel Authority (ETA) if you're visiting Australia. You can apply from the Australian Government Website for $20. I did mine via a travel agent for RM40. It is valid for one year so please do apply for it before buying your air ticket/ as soon as you booked your trip because I've heard of several cases of visas being rejected and they have to reapply within a very tight timeline because their departure is very close.

Weather
This was my third visit to Australia and guess what all three trips were in the winter lolll. I visited Melbourne during early September and it was kinda the transition period from winter to spring! It was kinda chilly and the weather was kinda unpredictable. I experienced all three spring-autumn-winter in a day ugh so better check the weather in advanced and dress accordingly everyday because it varies ALOT! It could be around 10°C and then go up to around 28°C at noon.

Airport Transfer
If you're flying via AirAsia, you'll land at Avalon Airport and not the main Melbourne International Airport which is almost 2x the journey. I booked the airport transfer beforehand via Klook because it's much cheaper than buying on the spot (RM102 compared to $48 for a return journey). You won't have to book a specific time slot in advanced but you can check out the bus times at the SkyBus website!

Mobile Data
Don't get the sim cards at the airport because they're really expensive! I got it from the 7-Eleven at Southern Cross station when I arrived for a really good deal, $10 for more than 25GB of data from Optus!

Cash
It's pretty much cashless in Melbourne and I brought only $100 for the whole trip. I used BigPay and sometimes Monzo because I'm so used to not carrying cash around even $100 is a big amount and very stressful for me. Also, the rates are much better on BigPay than getting cash exchanged.

Accomodation
My initial plan was to crash LS's place but turned out I couldn't because her accommodation is pretty strict and she has a roommate as well so it wasn't really convenient. I booked a bed in the shared female dorm of All Nations Backpackers just a few days before departure because my airbnb got cancelled smh. It was my first time staying at a backpackers hostel (bc I was also traveling on my own expenses D;) omg honestly was quite scared at first but it was quite an experience! Met some really nice people as well. 

Transport
It's really convenient to get around in Melbourne, especially with the free trams that run across the city. Most of the attractions are located inside the free tram zone so you don't have to worry much about it. However, do get a myki card (which is a transport card like London's Oyster Card) and tap on (and off) accordingly. You don't have to do so when traveling in the free tram zone but make sure you're aware of the end stops of the free tram zone else you'll be fined if someone checks! I also took quite a few rides on DiDi (something like Uber) from LS's place back to my hostel at night because of the reference discount codes HAHAHA.

Food
I wrote a post specially dedicated to all the good food in Melbourne two months back so check it out HERE! ;)

Attractions
I have eight full days in Melbourne so I totally took my own sweet time exploring the city... and also overslept on the first two days because I was too tired from all the flights + my phone was out of battery lmao perks (and also downside?) of traveling solo I guess. 

Attractions Within the Free Tram Zone
The attractions are not far away from each other and can be done quite quickly. It was raining when I visited most of these places so please pardon my bad pics.

1. State Library of Victoria
The first thing that pops up in your head whenever someone mentions Melbourne would probably be this. The library is absolutely stunning. I spent quite some time walking around the library capturing photos and also went back to read my novel there when I had nothing to do HAHAHA

2. Street Art
It's scattered all over the city and the popular ones are at Hosier Lane, AC/DC Lane, Degraves Street, Presgrave Place etcetc.

3. Flinders Street Station
This railway station is the iconic landmark of Melbourne. It is located at the corner of Flinders and Swanston streets. It's hard to miss it!

4. Melbourne Town Hall
This place usually hosts events and exhibitions. I passed by this place on the opposite street and Melbourne Fashion Week was going on at that time. 

5. St Paul's Cathedral
It is located right beside the town hall. Not sure why I didn't enter though.

6. Melbourne Central Shopping Centre
I randomly came into this building when I was trying to kill time while waiting for the rain to stop hahaha. Really liked the interior of it.

7. Royal Arcade
This shopping arcade is the longest surviving arcade in Australia. It is located in the central shopping area and connects to other lanes/arcades.

8. Block Arcade
It is located opposite of the Royal Arcade. I came across a very long queue at this Hopetoun Tea Room and it looked absolutely gorgeous omggggg. But sadly I was alone and was very full already so I didn't enter :(

9. Queen Victoria Market
The QVM is located at one end of the free tram zone. It is really huge, with half of it inside the building and another half sprawle out in the open behind it.
I was really lucky to be able to visit the Winter Night Market at QVM on their last day as well. The atmosphere there was really nice and ofc lots of foooood!

10. Chinatown
There's nothing much on the main street itself but there are plenty of good asian restaurants surrounding it.

11. Parliament
I went there twice but still missed the timing for the parliament public tour :/ It's free of charge but also acts on a first come first served basis. There was a school group when I was there and the next available slot is a couple of hours later so I just went off. More details about the visit can be found on their website.


Attractions Outside The Free Tram Zone
These attractions are located not far away from the free tram zone, and I walked to most of the places because it was too expensive for me to pay $4.40 every single time I travel out.

1. University of Melbourne
Visited the campus and also sat in one of the lectures and also did some very guailou thing - sat on the bench (in the pic below ok not grass oops) reading a novel under the sun LOL

2. Fitzroy
Love love love the vibes here I really enjoyed strolling around this part of the city. The long walk to Lune was worth it I guess hahaha.

3. Fitzroy Gardens
Well it's the transition between seasons so the trees were still kinda bald...

4. St Patrick's Cathedral
Passed by this place while walking to the garden but did not go in either...

5. Melbourne Museum
TBH I still don't know why I came all the way here because it was quite far but I spent an hour or two inside because of the free entry with a valid student card.

7. Royal Botanic Gardens
I didn't want to risk getting caught taking the tram a few stops outside the free tram zone so I got down and walked across the river (took these while walking back).
The garden is HUGEEEEEEEE and has lots of entrances. I was so afraid of getting trapped inside if they closed their gates lolol. And ya look at me being extra af getting a shot here with my tripod.

6. Shrine of Remembrance
It is a war memorial located inside the Royal Botanic Gardens and I had fun exploring the insides and also getting a view from above.

8. National Gallery of Victoria
I really wanted to visit the art gallery but lol I missed the opening hours. This has gotta be the only regret of my Melbourne trip. Didn't know it was 10 minutes away from the shrine lol should've visited this place first.

9. Yarra River
I took these when I was heading to the Direct Factory Outlet (DFO) located at Southbank. There are lots of bridges connecting the lands from both sides and I really don't remember which is which.
And this was taken another night from another bridge.

10. South Melbourne Market
Personally prefer this over QVM! Loved the market vibes here and also the wide variety of food!


Day Trips Out of Melbourne
1. Great Ocean Road Tour
I compared quite a number of tours and booked mine on Klook again. They have quite a number of tours on their website but I decided to go for this and not the very classic one because it includes a trip to the Cape Otway Lighthouse. The local guide in melb is Bunyip Tours and we had an amazing time with our guide, Reece. He's sooo experienced and lovely and has a great sense of humour and he's very interesting! Loved his stories and everything else TT couldn't ask for a better guide!!


Great Ocean Road Memorial Arch

Cape Otway Lighthouse

Loch Ard Gorge & Shipwreck Beach

The Razorback

ANDDDD THE MAIN HIGHLIGHT - THE TWELVE APOSTLES
At first I was like hmm just some rocks but when I was actually there it's actually very breathtaking???? and stunning omg idk how to describe my feelings. 
We didn't have much time there because the sun was setting. Else it would have been really nice to hike down the Gibson Steps to the beach area of the apostles D;

2. Brighton Bathing Boxes
It's a 25 minute journey by train from Flinder Street Station to Brighton Beach Station. You could also get down a station earlier which is the Middle Brighton Station. The walking distance to the bathing boxes from both stations are similar, approximately 15 minutes. I got to stroll along one whole stretch of beach that I would otherwise have missed if I didn't get down here! 
Just follow along these signs to the destination.
Two of my favourites!

3. Luna Park
This is an amusement park located in St Kilda, which is in between central Melbourne and Brighton. I took the bus to travel back up from Brighton. It was closed when I visited so I only took a shot outside and went over to the beach.

4. St Kilda Beach
I intended to come here before going to Brighton but THANK GOD I had a chat with another Singaporean solo traveller when I was having dinner the day before and she told me about penguin watching here!! Else I really would've missed it omg. Come around sunset and walk towards the end of the pier and you shall see lots of people waiting for the penguins to appear ;;))) 

The sunset here was so beautiful. Loved the pastel hues.

5. Puffing Billy Steam Train 
I found out about this place after reading a blogger's itinerary. It takes around an hour to travel from Flinders Street Station to Belgrave station where the steam train is located at. I booked the return tickets from Klook but found out that it's slightly cheaper to buy the tickets on the spot if you have a student card. 
Years ago people could actually sit right at the window and leave their legs hanging out the train but they banned it probably due to some accidents :( It would've been really exciting to do so.
The ticket we bought brought us to the Lakeside stop. We spent around an hour there and headed back. The weather was pretty nice for a picnic actually.


6. Philip Island
This is also one of the top day trips to take while visiting Melbourne. I didn't go for a tour there because I've seen penguins and koalas and kangas etc everything before and also because it's abit pricy plus I'm abit socially awkward to join a big group of people for the whole day by myself lolll. But still, the penguin parade thing sounds extremely interesting.


Expenses 
Flight - RM1300
Accommodation - $230
Klook Tours - RM590
Transport - $27
Food - $300
Misc - $40
Total ≈ RM3500


Thanks for reading till the very end! Hope you enjoyed the pictures/ find my post helpful if you're planning a trip to Melbourne! Please feel free to drop some comments below if you have any questions at all and I'll try my best to help :)

You May Also Like

6 comments


  1. Thanks for sharing this informative blog. Must appreciate your efforts and work. Keep sharing this kind of good stuff.
    Student accommodation newcastle

    ReplyDelete
  2. _Thanks for your infomation this is very useful for student I appreciate what you did This will definitely help students choose the most appropriate accommodation for their needs and preferred schedule.
    student accommodation near Dublin Business School

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing blog. We are also offering personal trip with luxury taxi service Melbourne.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, your blog is apt for knowing everything to keep in mind for international students while moving to Melbourne. Getting accommodation in a different city is hard and to get it in a different country can get very painful if not done beforehand.

    Student Accommodation Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  5. A debt of gratitude is in order for sharing this useful blog. Thanks for this informative and very useful blog, I appreciate your efforts in sharing this type of information, this will help students to choose the best accommodations in Melbourne.
    student accommodation near University of Melbourne, student accommodation near deakin University

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete